Thursday, May 22, 2008

Attack Of The Killer Tomato Worms...

Photos and text sent in by Jon Rappaport:

Imagine my shock when I found nearly 50 of these voracious 3.5-4” giants had decimated my tomato plants.  Only 24 hours earlier I had a vast green canopy laden with nearly ripe and oh so delicious grape tomatoes.  

Before I dispatched these unwanted guests with my shop scissors, I felt compelled to photograph and study these fascinating creatures.  

The Tomato Hornworm is a caterpillar, which if it survives becoming parasitized by wasp larva, becomes the Five-Spotted Hawk Moth (a little known pollinator of things that bloom in the night).  

Fortunately the intimidating red horn is only for show.

You have to click on these images to see the detail which is amazing!!!




Jon Rappaport

No comments: